Ricky J. Martinez
Board of Directors:
Steven E. Eisenberg, Esq.
Carol Schoffel Faber
Julia C. Hammond
Ricky J. Martinez
Alfred Allan Lewis
Director National Arts
October 17, 2012
"The theatre [is] the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being." Oscar Wilde
Dear Friends of New Theatre:
What would our world be like without the performing arts? Books, magazines, television are all great, but what about the tingle you get when that one line, the one that captures the heart and soul of another human being, is delivered with such authenticity by a live, professional actor. To us at New Theatre, art makes life in a big city worthwhile. I write to let you know the great things that are happening at New Theatre and to make sure that we are included in your giving for year-end 2012.
Here are some of the exciting things happening at the New.
- James Madison University in Virginia has honored the New's Artistic Director Ricky J. Martinez, by inviting him to guest direct "Anna and the Tropics", the Pulitzer Prize winning play borne at the New.
- Ricky J. has also been elected as the executive secretary of the National New Play Network, a highly respected coalition of only twenty six regional theaters that cultivate and stage newly minted scripts.
- "Edith Can Shoot Things and Hit Them" by A. Rey Pamatmat, which received its world premiere at New Theatre, was awarded the Steinberg/ATCA New Play Citation (an incredible honor) and has been published by Samuel French.
- "Elliot, A Soldier's Fugue" by internationally known and Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Quiara Alegria Hudes, is being published by the Theatre Communications Group. New Theatre has produced "Elliot" and world premiered Quiara's play "26 Miles".
- Playwright Rogelio Martinez whose play "Fizz" world premiered at the New, is the inaugural recipient of the Lark Mid-Career Playwright Fellowship.
- See the attached to see what this season holds in store.
As friends and patrons of New Theatre, you know that we deliver on our promise of presenting new and classic work that both provokes and entertains. You also know that we rely on your financial support to enable us to do the great work that we do. As we launch our 27th season, we are asking you to consider making a tax deductible contribution to New Theatre in the amount of $1000.00. More would be great - less is cool too. You can send a check to the theatre or give online through our website -- www.new-theatre.org. As they say on TV, please act now.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your support of the New. We love what New Theatre brings to our community and work very hard to ensure its continued vitality. We cannot do this without you and urge you to support this local legend, now in its 27th year. And we urge you to get involved. There are many opportunities for participation. Call Ricky J., Eileen or me with questions, comments, ideas or to tell us how you would like to get involved.
With gratitude and appreciation, we look forward to seeing you in the footlights.
Chair, Board of Directors